Nova Scotia’s most common home heating source is oil so for the last year we’ve been letting all our followers in on the many benefits of oil heating for your home. When compared with other alternatives such as electric and gas heating sources oil often comes out on top for being budget friendly and less environmentally impactful than you’d think. Check our Benefits of Oil Heating list below for all the information we’ve shared with you so far.
- More affordable than ever! The cost of heating oil has dropped an average of 22% over the years!
- New Oil Furnace vs. New Electric Furnace or Boiler – $300 – $600 more per year for electric
- Oil furnaces produce 58% less GHGs than electric furnaces
- 99.9% of today’s heating oil is used to create heat and only 0.01% ends up in the air as pollutants
- Studies show that the impact of clean-burning oil heat is as low as natural gas
- Nova Scotia recently reduced greenhouse gas emissions by more than 14,000 tonnes by upgrading 7000 oil furnaces across the province. The equivalent of removing 5000 vehicles from the road
- Oil heats water twice as fast as propane and five times faster than electric.
- Oil heats your home 30% faster than electric heat
- Newer oil appliances can reach efficiencies of 97%