If you’re in the market for a new heating oil tank for your home you may have read about double wall oil tanks during your research. Double wall tanks consist of two tanks in one, an inner tank which holds the oil, and a second outer tank, often made of steel or fibreglass, that acts as a barrier in case of leaks. But before you make a decision on a new oil tank, it’s always good to weigh the pros and cons, so we’ll lay out all the facts right here to help you decide!
Double wall oil tanks:
- Leak protection. Oil tank leaks are much less likely with a double wall tank. Want to learn about how to prevent and manage oil tank leaks, check out our blog, Oil Tank Leaks.
- Lifespan. Many double wall tanks can last up to 25 years, versus a regular tank which generally lasts no more than 15 years.
- Insurance savings. Some insurance companies will extend the policy for a double wall tank (after an inspection) whereas regular tanks would be required to be replaced after a certain number of years. Check out our blog on insurance and oil tanks to learn more!
- Corrosion Protection. Many double wall tanks are plastic on the inside or made of fibreglass and so are not susceptible to rusting from the inside out. This also helps prevent leaks.
- Cost. Double wall tanks are more expensive than your typical oil tank
- Different set up. The installation can differ from a regular tank so if you’re switching to a double wall tank it may require some extra set up by the technician and changes to where the tank sits inside or outside your home.
Another option similar to a double wall tank is a double bottom tank. With many of the same benefits, the double bottom tank can also be significantly cheaper when compared to a double wall fibreglass tank. Double bottom oil tanks are generally made of steel and, exactly as they are named, have a double floor to the tank. Since research shows most leaks come from the bottom of an oil tank, due to corrosion from sludge build up, the double bottom tank is still very leak resistant. The replacement warranty can also be up to 25 years, although oil from one tank to another cannot be transferred.
The extra protection of a double wall or double bottom oil tank is definitely a major benefit that will give you peace of mind when replacing your oil tank. Learn more about oil tanks from West Nova Fuels & Superline Fuels here!